Madi is the outfit (saree) worn by the Brahmin woman for doing pooja, preparation of food and the time of rituals. Madi is practiced only in Brahmins. Wearing Madi is considered the person to be pure in body.
In Brahmin community, ancestors have introduced custom of Madi while cooking food and performing pooja for the purity of physical body.
- After taking bath, put on washed clothes.
- The clothes should be untouched by other persons.
- Collect only fresh water to cook the food and to wash the vegetables.
- All the food grains like salt, sugar, rice and other items has to be touched when we are in madi.
- The yarn that is used for madi saree does not involve killing of the silk worms, so that it won’t bring any sin after wearing.
- Cow Milk is considered to be non-madi as it is the purest.
- Food cooked has to be offered first to god and then we need to consume it.
- Madi is used for purity of the physical body and a clean mind.
- By wearing Madi, cleanliness is maintained.
- Bacteria, germs can enter the food if we don’t maintain cleanliness.