Vaisaka Masam is the month of Hindu calendar which comes in the months of April/May of Gregorian Calendar. Vaisakha Masam is the month where the sun will transit into the Taurus zodiac (Vrushaba Rasi) and is called as Vrushabha Sankramana.This month is very auspicious for charity (Daanam) and associated with Lord Vishnu. The month is very much auspicious for marriages. This month is also called as Madhava masam as Lord Vishnu is also called as Madhu sudana.
According to the skanda puranam, vaisakha masam is the best month. In this month the Lord Vishnu has three incarnations as Sage Parushurama, Lord Narasimha and kurma. It is also believed that treat yuga is formed on sukla tritiya.
In simhachalam, Lord Vishnu is in the form of “Varaha Narasimha”, two forms varaha and Narasimha. Usually he will have only one form but in this month he is in two forms. Special celebration called “chandanavostavam” is performed every year on akshaya tritiya.
People believe that Lord Vishnu tests in this month and helps them to attain the aims of life (dharma, artha, kama and moksha) with following the rituals of vaisaka masam. This helps them to get good health and wealth. Good deeds such as poojas, yagna and homam have to be conducted.
Pooja Procedure for Vaisakha Masam:
- Daily wake up and do bath in the brahma muhurta time.
- Workship Lord Vishnu with Krishna Tulasi and sandalwood paste.
- Recite Sri Vishnu Sahasra Naama Stothram.
- Do parayanam of Srinivasa Kalyanam on Vaisaka Sukla Dasami.
- Read Vaiska puranam daily a chapter to know the details.
- Try to water a banyan tree and do pradakshina.
- Give service to cows.
- Donating water and Tila Tarpanam has to be done.
The important festivals of Vaisaka masam are
- Akshaya Tritiya or Parasurama Jayanthi: Akshay Tritiya comes on the third day of Vaisaka Masami e vaisaka sukla tritya. “Akshaya” is inexhaustible and “Tritiya” means third day. It is also called as Akha Teej. The day is very auspicious for starting new ventures, marriages, business, new constructions, investing, property, applying for jobs etc.
- Sri Padmavathi-Sreenivaasa Kalyaanam: This comes on the tenth day ie Vaisaka Sukla Dasami. SriVari Kalyanotsavam(Padmavathi Srinivasa Kalyanam) is performed.
- Sri Nrusimha Jayanthi: This comes on Vaisaka Sukla Chaturdasi. Lord Vishnu is incarnated as Lord Narasimha and killed King Hiranyakashyap to establish dharma and protect the mankind.
- Sri Sanaischara Jayanthi: This comes on Vaisaka Bahula Amaavaasya. Lord Shani was norn on this day.People effected by the Elinati shani, Ashtama Shani and who are under the shani dasha or antardasha has to do powerful prayer Sri Narasimha Stuthi to overcome the difficulties.
- Vaisaka saptami is known as Ganga saptami as the holy river Ganga came from the ears of sage jahnu.
- Full moon day of vaisaka masam is known as Maha Vaisakam because the moon will be near to the visakha Nakshatra(star) chitta so the masam is called as Vaisaka Masam.
- Performing charities is the good aspect in this masam.
- Donation of water, food and clothes are considered as the most frequent charities.
- Bathing in the brahma muhurtam time at the sacred rivers and worshiping Lord Vishnu.
- Observing Vishnu Pooja before sunrise will help to remove all the sins committed.
- During Vaisaka Masam in tirumula Srivari Kalyanotsavam and a special three day festival called as Padmavathi Srinivasa Kalyanam is performed.
- Preforming the kalyanam or participating is very much meritorious.
- Tila Daanam has to be done on Vaisaakha Sukla Pournami.
- Charities like food, water, clothes, chappals, umbrella, cow, Land,gold and silver and honey are prescribed.
- Donating water is given high preference from the month starting to till Vaisaka Sukla dasami.
- Vishaka month comes in high Summer in India. Every where people face water scarcity and people suffer with heavy thirst. Here comes the tradition to save life's of living organisms in the name of charity.
- Water in rivers and sea will have many medicinal benefits.
- Bathing tightens the blood vessels and all the exhaust blood and the waste products.
- Doing charity will the people in need and some self-satisfaction and helps us to relive from stress.
- As the month is summer donating water to the needy helps them.